Wednesday 19 May 2010

Funnies!



I've just been doing one of my all-too-periodic spots of website-updating, and as part of it I put all the Hashtag Funnies strips I drew last year up in one place on my site, so why not go and have a read?

If you remember, the basic idea was that I had to draw a strip each morning, under appallingly restricted time conditions, based on one of that day's trending topics on twitter. I think it's fair to say that results varied wildly, but I really liked some of the strips - here in particular are a few of my favourites: #lieswomentell, #godloveslove, #truthis.

I'd really like to do more of these, but I'm kind of in two minds. On the one hand I loved doing them, and really enjoyed the 'challenge' aspect of having to come up with an idea every day and turn it into a finished strip super-quickly. On the other hand, simply by their nature they mean that the art tended to be very rushed, and being the perfectionist self-loathing artist that I am, I kind of feel like I ought to be focussing on things where I can take my time and produce the best-looking art I am capable of, rather than just rushing stuff out for giggles.

Like I say, I'm in two minds. Your thoughts on this point, dear reader, would be very welcome.

4 comments:

  1. I liked them, and the art was perfectly fine for them. Just go for the iggles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, carry on doing the lightweight stuff, because it's all creative, it's all practice, and you never know what you might discover during the process. Also, you're having fun with it, and that's really important because you don't want the art to become just a job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MORE! NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More #hashtagfunnies! This series brightened up my day whilst it ran, and the quality was consistently good and very funny (certainly beats the hell out of the crappy cartoons in the Sun that's for sure).

    ReplyDelete