Tuesday 14 July 2009

Meet Doc Dinosaur

A weird thing about the recently-completed A-Z of Awesomeness was that at no point did it involve dinosaurs, which is almost unthinkable given that (a) I am mildly obsessed with them, and (b) lets face it, they have an Awesomeness Quotient second only to Giant Robots and possibly Jack Kirby. Here to make up for it is the first of probably several dino-themed posts for this week! Meet... Doc Dinosaur!


This was a stray idea my fellow ex-DFC creator Mr Tony Lee was kicking around a while back. He is a dinosaur in a jetpack - there may have been rather more to the pitch than that, but that was all it took to sell me on it.



Here are some of my (somewhat TOO SCARY) initial sketches:

Will the adventures of Doc Dinosaur be coming soon to a comics shop / cinema / saturday morning cartoon near you? Oh, probably.

More awesomeness tomorrow!

13 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that Doc Dinosaur talks with a british accent. Am I correct to assume that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for some reason I am hearing him more as a gruff-speakin' straight-shootin' yank, but really your guess is as good as mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is he friends with Jetpack Brontosaurus?
    www.blurst.com/jetpack-brontosaurus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly the Doc would beat bronto's vegan behind, though. Or would the Doc have a shameful secret, like vegetarianism?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm... He'll have to be very careful not to singe his tail, won't he?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beware! There is already a Dr. Dinosaur.

    http://asylums.insanejournal.com/scans_daily/333411.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Someone just pointed that out to me. Onto plan B, this great story idea I have about a guy who's like a human SPIDER or something. NONE OF YOU BETTER FUCK THIS UP THIS FOR ME

    ReplyDelete
  8. (I was so pleased with my litle joke there I recycled it from Twitter, and now feel slightly ashamed of myself)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's dinosaurs-and-jetpacks day today: http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1509

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool.

    But that was the name of one of the characters in this show.

    I'm not saying your Doc is anything like THAT Doc, but it's what I thought of when I saw this.

    It's still pretty kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry man, Kevin O'Malley and Patrick O'Brian already beat you to the punch with Captain Raptor and the Moon Mystery.

    http://www.patrickobrienbooks.com/book%20details/Captain%20Raptor/Captain%20Raptor%201.html

    A completely awesome book for any kid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the greatest! I demand more dinosaurs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wholeheartedly approve of this gun-toting, jetpack-using dinosaur and/or service. MOAR, please!

    Personally, I would expect Doc Dinosaur to sound like either Lance Henriksen or Clint Eastwood.

    ReplyDelete